Hire Roof Racks Guidelines
These maximum craft that Rosco Canoes will attach per vehicle apply to the total number of craft per vehicle regardless as to whether they are all hired from Rosco Canoes or not. Please read carefully, as Rosco Canoes reserve the right to refuse to load a hire at any point. It is the hirer's responsibility to ensure the craft being loaded meet appropriate state road rules for projecting loads. If you have any questions regarding hires, please feel free to contact us for confirmation as these are designed as guidelines only and may vary depending on craft and racks.
- These are branded racks that are specific to the car with a maximum load rating. They come in a variety of foot pack/fit kits and bar options. Depending on these options, will depend on the maximum load rating. Major brands include car specific (such as Toyota, Mazda, etc), Thule, Rhino, Rola, Prorack, etc.
- These are racks which are purpose made for that vehicle. Often found on utes, 4WDs, and trucks, these racks are often wider or stronger than standard racks. Please check with both rack and car manufacturer as to the maximum load rating.
- These racks are either made from high density foam or inflatable. They sit directly on the roof of a vehicle and are attached via straps which run through the doors on a car. The car must be a 4 door car to attach these racks correctly. Caution, these racks are designed for short distances only. The weight of the load sits directly on the roof of the car (rather than through the frame like on fixed racks) and this can damage a roof (Rosco Canoes advises the use of fixed racks or trailers wherever possible and accept no liability to damage on a car from the use of temporary racks or its load). Water can seep into car from tether straps.
- Rosco Canoes will only attach a load to a tray of a ute if it can be secured correctly to multiple load points. Rosco Canoes will not attach craft to a ute without a fixed, load bearing bar between the tray and cab. Rosco Canoes can refuse to load a craft if a canopy hinders the attaching of a craft.
- Rosco Canoes can provide a trailer which can cater up to 8 craft. To hire trailer, a minimum of 4 craft must be hired from Rosco Canoes. Hire prices can be found on our website. A customer can provide their own trailer to carry multiple craft. The trailer must meet Queensland Transport regulations. Rosco Canoes will only attach multiple craft to a trailer as outline below. The trailer must have sufficient load bearing racks and multiple load restraint points.
- Rosco Canoes will not load craft inside a vehicle. This includes but is not limited to vans, campers, caravans, and station wagons. Rosco Canoes will not load craft without appropriate racks and attachment points. Rosco Canoes will not attach temporary racks to vehicles in which it cannot be done in a safe and correct manner. Rosco Canoes cannot transport hires to and from the water, collection and drop off must be from Rosco Canoes at Kedron. The customer is responsible for understanding how to safely and correctly unload/reload and reattach load to their vehicle.
Rosco Canoes will only attach one canoe per vehicle regardless of the racks and the racks must be at least 90cm wide with a minimum load rating of 40kg. Rosco Canoes will only attach two canoes to a trailer if the width of the bars is at least 175cm and have a load rating greater than 70kg.
Rosco Canoes will attach a maximum of two SUP Boards per vehicle with fixed racks or trailer, and a maximum of one SUP Boards per vehicle with temporary racks. Racks must be 60cm wide and have a minimum load rating of 30kg.
Rosco Canoes will only attach one SOT Kayak per vehicle regardless of the racks and the rack must be at least 90cm wide with a minimum load rating of 40kg. Rosco Canoes will not attach the Ocean Kayak Cabo to temporary racks. Rosco Canoes will only attach two SOT Kayaks to a trailer if the width of the bars is at least 175cm and have a load rating greater than 75kg.
Rosco Canoes will only attach a maximum of two Sit-Inside Kayaks per vehicle or with fixed racks and the rack must be at least 135cm wide with a minimum load rating of 50kg. For vehicles with temporary racks or racks under 135cm/50kg, Rosco Canoes will only fit one Sit-Inside Kayak (providing load rating is more than 40kg). Rosco Canoes will not attach the Wilderness Systems Northstar and Rosco Tidemark Double to temporary racks.
Rosco Canoes guidelines are to help ensure hires are safely transported but ultimately it is the hirer responsibility to ensure they meet and can replicate safe and legal transportation of craft and gear.